Friday, May 13, 2011

NM 3 and Villanueva State Park

My waitress at the Mid-Point Cafe was great. I told her where I was headed and she wiped out a NM map and described to me the three basic paths to get from I-40 in NM to Santa Fe. She showed me NM 3 and I knew that was the path for me... So it was Good-Bye Route 66 and North into New Mexico.
NM 3 North
The Miata
NM 3 is a 2-lane road less traveled between I-40 and I-25. I creeps into the Sangre De Christo mountain range at its Southern most edge. About half way there is a little backwaters town called Villanueva and an adjoining State Park. The town reminded me of a Mexican Hanover - except no Gas Station - only a market about 1/4 the size of the Hanover market.

The State Park was great. It had a Overlook Path trail that climber .6 miles up to the peak of the mountain overlooking the Pecos River and out North across the Sangre De Christo mountain range. So even though I hadn't planned on seeing this range until the Taos part of my journey, I got an early treat. Here is one of the views from the top of the mountain looking North...
Looking North into the Sangre De Christo Mountain Range
I had my lunch on top of the mountain.

1 comment: