Friday, May 13, 2011

Larry and the Mid-Point Cafe in Adrian, Texas

On Wednesday morning I left Amarillo (TX) on my way West. I planned to stop in Adrian Texas which is the official half way point between Chicago and Los Angeles on Route 66.

Sure enough, there it was. And the Mid-Point cafe was right behind me, so I went in for breakfast. That's where I met Larry. Larry is about 10 years older than me, served in Vietnam (with the 101st Airborne), was born and raised in Adrian Texas, has two new knees and a new hip joint and still drives a bus for the local school district. Our tables were adjacent and we ate our breakfasts and had a running conversation. Wonderful morning, I know quite a bit more about the Texas panhandle than I did at the start of this trip.

I bought some postcards and then went to the Post Office a few doors down to mail them. The post lady said "I know you. The owner of the Cafe was just in here and said you were in the Cafe talking to Larry." I love Small Town America!


Main Street, Adrian, TX

1 comment: